Bacillus atrophaeus Spore Strip (Ethylene Oxide)
The biological indicator (BI) is known by most experts as monitoring the sterilization process. This is because BI directly monitoring the sterilization process using resistant microorganisms. The RRS packet containing spore strip is specially designed for the monitoring of ethylene oxide sterilization processes. The Bacillus atrophaeus Spore Strip (Ethylene Oxide) (RRS 14-22110) is compliant with ISO 11138.
General Use Instructions for Bacillus atrophaeus Spore Strip
- Record the number of the sterilizer and the date of the process on the BI.
- Biological indicators have to always be placed at the worst-case location according to the validation standard which may be inside of a package with solid goods or inside of instruments. The number of BI should be selected according to the national accreditation standards of Iranian hospitals (4th edition / 1398).
- Once the sterilization process has finished, open the sterilizer door, wait a few minutes, and remove the spore strip from the container.
- Transfer biological indicator to laboratory for culture.
Specific instructions for RRS Bacillus atrophaeus Spore Strip
- After the sterilization process, under aseptic conditions, and the laminar hood, remove the spore strip from the package and place it in the culture medium.
- Incubate the tube containing culture medium and spores strip at 37 ± 2 ° C for 48 hours in the RRS incubator.
The color change of BI to yellow indicates a defect in the sterilization process after the mentioned period of time. The content of the tube can become turbid or the appearance of a precipitate can be observed due to bacterial growth. If there is no color change in the indicator after the specified period of time, the result of the test will be negative and this indicates that the sterilization process is adequate.
Record the positive results in the RRS CSSD Documentation NoteBookand and discard them immediately.
Use a non-sterile spore strip as a positive control. In this case, you make sure that the appropriate conditions are provided in the incubator. For results to be valid, the positive control indicator should turn to yellow and the negative control should not change its original color (green color).
Each indicator is intended for a single use and must be discarded after use.
Discard Bacillus atrophaeus Spore Strip (Ethylene Oxide) (RRS 14-22110) after use according to your country’s healthcare and safety regulations. The positive biological indicator can be sterilized in steam sterilizers at 121 °C for at least 20 minutes or at 134 °C for at least 10 minutes.
Please Check out file at the following link